Tuesday, January 2, 2007

A bit of description...

about the sites to the right.

Deadspin is a sports site. A very funny sports site. Nothing is sacred and things, especially in the comments, can get quite ribald. I enjoy that type of humor but it's not for everyone. It's generally run by one guy, but on the weekends a guy called the mighty mjd covers for him. Others cover holidays so it's always being updated and is always funny.

John's UW football site is exactly what it says it is. He also continues it through basketball and covers football recruiting as well. It's a different perspective than most others and I enjoy reading it. Feel free to ask questions in the comments because you'll get the best answer he can give.

Kissing Suzy Kolber is very similar to Deadspin except I think it focuses more on football. I'll have to wait and see on that because I haven't been enjoying it that long. It's run by a group of writers so you'll see quite a few different views on things.

Mariners blog is known as USS Mariner. The contributors to this site are among the best posters to the usenet newsgroup devoted to the Mariners. They left to create the site and the newsgroup went downhill. I'm glad I found them again. They are a bit statistically oriented sometimes but always provide thoughtful analysis of the team. Their comment section during games is a fun way to enjoy the game from a distance and there are a lot of thoughtful posters there as well, game or not.

Michael Totten lives in Oregon, but has lived in the Middle East and has traveled all over it. He focuses a lot on the situation in Lebanon, with which he's most familiar, but has also done some excellent pieces on Iraq, especially Kurdistan. I'd like to visit the place after reading some of his work.

Publius Pundit is a collection of writers brought to together by Robert Mayer. They're a geographically diverse bunch, which is one of the reasons I enjoy it. There's excellent reporting on Latin America and Eastern Europe as well as a lot of other places.

Rantburg...most of the sites I read lean to the right, but are generally fair and even-handed in their reporting. Rantburg's not. I love it. They collect news articles and allow others to add to them, debunk them, make smart ass remarks about them and have a lot of fun doing so. There are some very knowledgeable people on there and even the occasional respectable lefty. Those are few and far between.

San Antonio Rugby is just what it says it is. I enjoyed my time there and recently helped them buy a bus to travel to matches in. I mainly visit their bulletin board.

I found the Wines family website via John's UW site. They're rabid Duck fans, are there any other kind, but I still enjoyed. They play a game called "what is it?" where an odd looking photo is shown between UO reporting and that hooked me. Good people!

Wretchard's real name is Richard and I wish I had thought of that first. All I can say is excellent analysis and commentary on world events.

I may add more sites and will try to let you know what they're about as I do.

No comments: