Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cooking sausage...

No, this has nothing to do with my kielbasa, which was delicious and surprisingly not a magnet for cats. Shortly after I finished eating Victoria came home. She's an artist, Russian, very sweet, attractive but not a stunner and a good neighbor so far. She also likes rock and roll so we should get along fine.

She asked me, since it was her first time using a gas grill that the previous tenant gave her when he left, how to cook a sausage. Being the dirty old man I'm slowly becoming, my first thoughts were less than pure, but I quickly over came those to tell her to use her nose. Mine are done when the smell won't let me sit and wait anymore. She brought up a point that she applied to Japanese chefs that also applies though...use your ears, when the sizzle is right the sausage is cooked. I showed her how to clean the grill and start it and told her to start at a low heat until impatience and the smell took over.

She also mentioned a Bavarian deli that I used to drive by when I lived in the middle of town and bragged about its sausages. I always thought it was a restaurant, but it's really a deli so I'll have to check it out. The Cypriot sausage, or maybe it's Greek, is Sheftalia and it's pretty good as well. I'm not sure what it's made of , but it resembles hard hamburger in its texture and is pretty tasty. It goes well with a village salad, minus the damn tomatoes.

Other news...Alienware's customer support was pretty darn good when I finally got around to calling them. Being somewhat stubborn, I fought the new computer myself for a few days, not doing anything to void the warranty, but fighting it nonetheless. It turned out that I had done everything right and the only thing left to do was flash the motherboard BIOS with a new version. It's worked for over 24 hrs. so far.

No comments: