Monday, February 5, 2007

Watching the Super Bowl...

over here is a bit different. I have two options, either AFN, military TV, or Sky Sports, a British satellite broadcast. Neither have commercials, normally one of my favorite parts of the broadcast, but I read a lot about them lacking this year, so maybe I didn't miss anything.

The AFN version is straight football, with history and geography and life lessons as commercial replacements. It works, and you can use some of the questions they ask in silly drinking games...as if we need an excuse...it's the Super Bowl!

The Sky version is different. No actual commercials, but they show Brits at Super Bowl parties and other commentary during commercial breaks. The commentary is provided by Don Johnson(of Miami Vice fame) and some ex-NFL player whose name I didn't catch. It's pretty lame but at least they use the actual game announcers for the play by play.

At least I managed to wake up in time, although it was tempting to go back to sleep. The game's close and competitive, if not terribly well played, but the weather is quite a contributing factor in that respect.

I wish I could say the same about the rugby I've watched over the past couple of days. I went down to Jonny's for a couple of pints and caught France/Italy and England/Scotland in the opening games of the 6 nation's tournament and was bored. I can't give away scores because Rob is watching them later on tape delay and I'm not sure if he reads this or not, but while Ireland/Wales was closer, it was pretty boring.

No comments: